Nine to Twelve Months Before
- Determine who will officiate at the ceremony.
- Select a wedding date and time.
- Announce your engagement in the newspaper.
- Determine how many guests may attend.
- Determine the type of wedding you want (size, formality, style, color scheme).
- Select and order the bridesmaids’ dresses.
- Establish a preliminary budget.
- Select and secure a photographer.
- Select a caterer if not already provided by the reception.
- Select and secure your reception location.
- Select and secure your ceremony location.
- Begin choosing your wedding cake baker, videographer, musicians, and florist. Sign necessary contracts.
- Pick out engagement ring with fiancé.
Six to Nine Months Before
- Start compiling the guest list (inform your families to do the same).
- Select the attendants for your wedding party.
- Shop for the wedding dress, headpiece, veil, etc.
- Start planning for honeymoon.
- Register with a gift bridal registry in your favorite store.
Four to Six Months Before
- Make appointments for a physical exam with your doctor/dentist.
- Check requirements for blood test and marriage license in your state.
- Shop for wedding rings.
- Select and order the invitations and stationery.
- Make sure all the men’s attire has been ordered.
- Decide where to live after the wedding.
- Complete the guest lists.
- Begin shopping for trousseau.
- Send your engagement announcement to the newspaper.
- Inform mothers to select their dresses.
- Select and order the men’s attire.
- Finalize honeymoon details and make the necessary reservations.
Two to Four Months Before
- Confirm the menu and catering details with the caterer.
- Prepare all maps and directions for the ceremony and reception.
- Select your wedding rings.
- Buy a wedding guest book.
- Set the dates and times with the officiant for the rehearsal.
- Plan the bridesmaids’ luncheon and any other parties.
- Determine your resources for designing and printing the program for the ceremony.
- Finalize the florist details, photographer, videographer, musicians, etc.
- Arrange the necessary accommodations for out-of-town guests.
- Plan a rehearsal dinner, time and place.
- Confirm the wedding cake details with the baker.
Six to Eight Weeks Before
- Mail invitations and announcements.
- Prepare a portrait for the newspaper. Check your local newspaper for details and timing.
- Set appointment with photographer for your formal bridal portrait.
- Select gifts for all your attendants.
- Set appointments with any hairdressers and/or makeup artists.
- Hire the limousine or other forms of transportation for the wedding.
Four to Six Weeks Before
- Decide what your menu is going to be for the reception. Estimate the expected number of guests.
- Buy a gift for the groom.
- Schedule a final fitting for your gown so it can be ready for your formal bridal portrait.
- Purchase a going away outfit.
- Pick up your wedding rings.
- Purchase (borrow) all wedding accessories such as the ring pillow, goblets, garter belt, candles, etc.
- Confirm florist details and delivery times.
- Plan the seating for the reception as well as other details for the ceremony and reception. Start writing placement cards.
- Make sure all bridesmaids’ attire has been fitted.
- Buy a gift for the bride.
Two Weeks Before
- Make arrangements to have your wedding gifts moved to your new home.
- Handle business and legal details such as name changes, address changes, etc.
- Prepare the wedding announcement for the newspaper.
- Reconfirm your guests’ accommodations
- Make sure all clothing and accessories for you and the bridal party are ready.
- Get your marriage license and any blood tests which are needed.
One Week Before
- Review any seating details with the ushers.
- Make sure all wedding attire fits.
- Finalize the seating arrangements.
- Reconfirm your honeymoon reservations. Ensure you have any necessary plane tickets.
- Start packing for your honeymoon.
- Call any guests who have not responded yet.
- Finish all the place cards for the reception.
- Review all the final details with your photographer, videographer, etc.
- Give a final head count to the caterer.
- Confirm the availability of the musicians and vocalists.
- Delegate responsibilities to reliable individuals on your wedding day
- Wrap and present the wedding party gifts.
- Finalize your rehearsal dinner arrangements or other plans.
One Day Before
- Get a manicure or massage to relax yourself.
- Stay with your family the night before and sleep early.
- Review and rehearse all the details of your participants.
The Big Day
- Make sure the best man and maid of honor sign the wedding certificate.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to get dressed.
- Enjoy your wonderful wedding and cherish each and every moment!!!
- Be sure to eat properly.
- Rest and relax with a good bath.
- Prepare for your hairdresser and makeup appointments.